Saturday, November 03, 2007

Splendor in the Grass- and other things





Alas, Molly's boyfriend belongs to a workman whose work down the road may be about done. We named him Cameron, after Dinah's boyfriend, since we didn't know his name. They spent hours rolling around in the grass. He's a gorgeous boy.

I loved the movie "Splendor in the Grass" when I was a teenager-- just seemed so hot and tragic and moving. Later in life I met Warren Beatty-- Jon was working with him-- he sent me roses on my 40th birthday-- somewhere I have the little card-- always wondered if Jon set him up to send them, but it was a thrill. Later that day we went to the racetrack. (not with Warren!)

I finished Marilynne Robinson's "Housekeeping." Beautiful writing about an incredibly chilly dysfunctional and distant small family. I far prefer what I'm reading now, "Life by Land and Sea" by Prentice Mulford, an autobiography weaving around San Francisco in 1800's. Great writing with a light touch but not too comical. Before that reread Death Valley in '49 by William Lewis Manly, which is wonderful, and I notice through google you can download it for free from project gutenberg.

I'm not an autobiography fiend. Both of these books are well written and fascinating, if you are interested in the period.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roses from Warren Beatty! That is so cool.

Linda Davick said...

Molly looks so happy. Is that house near yours still empty? Can't her boyfriend move in there?

Don't be crazy––of course Warren Beatty was smitten with you.