Sunday, May 18, 2008

Look Who's Back in Town



We had a most wondrous time at the Knight Inlet Lodge in British Columbia. We saw many black bears and a handful of grizzlies too, all from small boats at a very close distance. I'll post more pictures as the week goes by.

Winter stayed longer than usual in the area, and most of the grizzlies hadn't woken from hibernation yet, but the ones we saw were magnificent.

We were sure we'd like the wildlife sightings, but had no idea we'd have so much fun with the other people who'd come on this Vital Ground trip.

I was surprised that for the first time in my life I could remember people's names, quite well. I wondered if this was going to be permanent. Jon said maybe it's like reverse Alzheimer's. Wouldn't that be a treat? Or not?



This is an osprey. Bald eagles were almost as common as crows. They stole this osprey's fish right after he did a dive bomb to fetch it.

I really enjoyed reading all your posts on my future/past blog last week-- I read them last night after we got home at ten. We were a week without newspaper, radio, computer, phone etc. Totally unplugged. It was great.

3 comments:

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

Wow, that's so cool! I've never seen a bear (or a bald eagle) outside of zoo.
The bear seems to be looking into the camera. I wonder what's going through his head?

Anonymous said...

Maybe selective memory would be optimal!

Sally said...

They are very careful about never feeding the bears at Knights Inlet, and keeping the human distance sufficient that the bear doesn't show any stress or even look at you.