Tuesday, January 12, 2010

On the S.S. Dementia

Spoke to my mother this morning: she was up on deck and had been fishing all morning but no interesting fish had been caught. She said, "How are the horses running for you?" Wow, she remembers that my latest obsession is horse racing. I said, "I've been making lots of money."

"Oh, honey that's wonderful. I don't know how you do it. But don't forget, the worm turns."

I said, "I hear Cricket and Cousin John are both on the ship." She said, "I don't think so. I haven't seen hide nor hair of them."

It was time for her to go below deck, so we hung up for today. It does seem like she's having a pretty good time on this cruise of hers, and she maintains the reality of it every day which is quite an accomplishment.

6 comments:

Namowal (Jennifer Bourne) said...

That is pretty amazing that she consistently interprets her stay as a cruise. I'm still curious as to what triggered that notion.

I totally understand your "wow she remembers!" moment.

stray said...

I love her comment "the worm turns." Still such wisdom there.

Linda Davick said...

This whole cruise saga is amazing. I'm glad you're writing down some of the things your mom's saying--I too found myself sitting with a pen & paper almost every time I talked with my mom the past year.

Love "the worm turns" too. (My mom would be waiting for "the other shoe to drop.") The "hide nor hair" got to me, too.

Sally said...

I can see a lot of parallels to cruise life: the activities directors, sitting at tables for meals with people you don't know, looking out long banks of windows, even the wheel chair like one of those deck chairs.

I mentioned S.S. Dementia on twitter and immediately picked up cruise ship followers!

Jane said...

This is so interesting to me--the cruise your mom is on. May she continue to have smooth sailing with well liked friends. Who could ask for more? It is so good that you talk to her often.

stray said...

I loved when a friend visiting Dad was leaving, and Dad told him; "Don't take any wooden nickels!"